Tuesday, September 22, 2009
San Quentin Show (1967)
I am travelling today but just wanted to throw a little something in to the ring for you all to mull over.
Jeff Gold has unearthed a Communications Company handbill for a jam outside of San Quentin featuring members of both the Grateful Dead and Country Joe and The Fish. The facts as I understand them:
- The handbill is from the collection of Ralph J Gleason - so is credible.
- I have such a Country Joe and The Fish and Grateful Dead (plus possibly) Jefferson Airplane show listed for Thursday February 15, 1968
- I have a listing for the Grateful Dead performance at San Quentin on Thursday March 7, 1968 - but Country Joe and The Fish were in New York at this time.
- The handbill refers to the performance being on a Tuesday.
- And the real stinger - The Communications Company only operated between January and August 1967.
I have no time to check through the Barbs to reconfirm any dates. So. any thoughts? I do know that Joe McDonald and others have performed outside San Quentin in protest on the day of executions.